For Take a Word's wings challenge - The original "It Girl" - Clara Bow, who starred in the 1927 silent film "Wings,"a World War I story that thrilled everybody with its flying scenes and that was one of the first films to show nudity. It's been restored and last year was released on DVD and Blu-ray. Some scenes are on YouTube if you're curious.As for Clara Bow, she survived the transition to talkies, but at 28, after making more than 50 films and having also survived scandals, studios, and her own vulnerability, she retired from Hollywood to become a rancher in Nevada. In 1965, she died at 60 of a heart attack.
Click the image if you'd like a larger version.
Credits: John Chuckman (photo of Clara Bow); Kyoto Costume Institute (corset); Paradise via Fotki (wings); Darleen Araujo (butterfly and silver bows); HotLookz (lace-gloved hand to replace her awkwardly positioned left hand); BG Payne Crafts (pearly branches); Arlene's Costumes (antennae); Plof (quail feather); Encore Editions (plumbago); Deadlady (frame); Judy at a Touch of Class (background within the frame).
I love this piece, (and appreciate the information about Clara). So happy to be able to comment and tell you so!
ReplyDeleteYes I'm glad too about the comment place. Love your vintage art work with that beauty lady very much.
ReplyDeleteHugs Anja
This one really worths to be enlarged!
ReplyDeleteI adore this kind of rich and sweet vintage collages!
Bravo! Very beautifully done!
Hooray, I am so happy to be able to tell you how much I love your work!
ReplyDeleteAnother fine piece!!
I agree that it is wonderful to be able, at last, to comment on your work which I admire so much. This is adorable and I love what you did with Clara. Enlarging is the way to go. I had NO idea there was nudity in movies way back when! Thanks for all the info! xx
ReplyDeletewow beautiful piece!
ReplyDeleteSo pleased that after so long your fellow artists can give you the credit you deserve. This is a stunning piece and I love the information too.
ReplyDeleteAt long last, I can leave you a comment. This piece with Clara Bow is just gorgeous! Thanks for the brief history! xx
ReplyDeleteThat is a fabulous piece. It sounds like Clara Bow was ahead of her time.
ReplyDeleteGorgeous artwork! Beautifully created.
ReplyDelete